We are so happy you found us! We were plant killers too!
Tierra Sol Studio creates happy and minimal small batch ceramics, studio grown cacti, and terrariums—for plant killers who are plant lovers.
Plant care is a lost art. And most people are set up for failure…
The number one reason people kill their plants is due to:
1. The soil
Most cacti and succulents sold in the US come in powdery soil that (doesn't exist in nature) clumps around roots and slides right out of those plastic cups. This soil begins to hold water against roots and rot them as soon as you water them. Cacti and other succulents are desert plants that need non-clumping gritty soil.
2. The container
Another way to facilitate replication of the desert environment is to place cacti and succulents into absorbant pots like ours or terra cotta.
Have you ever noticed:
- How plants are glued down or spray painted at home improvement stores?
- The stores discounted dying plant sale sections?
- Or that the plants for sale already look half dead?
- Are the cheapest kind of succulents that are delicate and should only be living in an Arizona desert?
- How plant shops try to upsell you on fancy misters that don't replicate the natural environment of the plant?
- How people mix plants that don't naturally go together -or- place plants in glass containers that hold in too much moisture for desert plants?
We want your plants to live forever and have spent years making that possible. We (Yair + Seana) started Tierra Sol Studio because we couldn’t keep anything alive.
Plants improve focus and are scientifically proven to make us happy, but we couldn’t grow any in our small dark apartment while Seana was in graduate school. She began to study plants and their needs with the same dedication as her graduate research. We began to find the hardiest plants, conduct experiments, and would track which plants survived her being away for many months during fieldwork. Seana had made pottery since she was a kid and spent time working out how to create the best environment for each plant type.
We use only the highest quality and lowest maintenance plants. We grow most of our plants at our studio. I craft each ceramic piece with my own hands and often paint them with a variety of flat pastel glaze techniques. I fire each planter using an unconventional method to make pots that are terra cotta and best fit the needs of each plant.
Which plants are best for you?
- Do you have a room with low sun or high sun?
Our succulents (and cacti) need one teaspoon of water per month and we only use plants that thrive in low sun or in high amounts of sun.
- Do you have a room or office with low sun or no sun at all?
Our moss terrariums require no sunlight and get watered once every six months!
If you have any questions about which plants are right for your space, just send us a message!
Now you too can have an Instagram page dedicated to your plant hoarding! You know you want to…
Yair and Seana